To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: Bait and Switch?

CS 2 is causing great concern among pros because it has incorporated a Royalty Free licensing and searching module which is filled with images from the two big stock houses (Getty and Corbis) and a few others. This will greatly improve workflow for publishing houses and advertising firms while possibly destroying the Rights Managed model of image usage licensing. It may be the coffin nail in Rights Managed licensing, and thus also the end of making a good living from licensing stock photography in lifestyle and outdoor.

Among the largely amateurs on my Canon 10D list the massive improvements in the File Browser, now called the Bridge, are cause for great rejoicing. I find navigating the File Browser extremely cumbersome, and keywording through it also somewhat clumsy, while its features for preliminary image processing in conjunction with Adobe Camera Raw are fabulous. With ACR there is no reason to shoot jpegs at all.

Adobe could have introduced a few other improvements, like a really excellent keywording system to facilitate their new RF search, but they seem to have decided to leave that to the RF agencies and just make it simple for buyers to locate well-keyworded images from them. And of course, they could have formed partnerships with more than the few agencies they have, although noone on my lists has any scoop about how the current set of alliances were forged, or the terms of them.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx