Re: Fill flash

Thank you for your help.   The confusion comes when I try to tell the class that you set your lens for - say, f11 at 125 of a seconds, but you set your flash unit for f5.6 for instance.   It sounds easy enough to those familiar with cameras and flash units, but to beginners, this seems like a hopeless puzzle.   Is there any way I can visually explain this to students?  (I've shown them the settings, adjustments on a flash unit, but confusion still reigns.)

For instance, when explaining aperture settings different sized funnels with sand pouring through them can be used (the sand being the light that passes through the lens).

I have suggested that for now, when shooting outside cutting the light coming from the flash can be accomplished by physically placing a white handkerchief over the flash unit, the photojournalist's trick of rotating the flash head straight up then attaching a white card behind the flash (not all flash units can be rotated up) or stepping back from your subject, etc.

Maybe the concept of fill flash is just something that takes time to comprehend.

Thank you, again.

Marilyn

Leave gentle fingerprints on the
soul of another for the angels to read.