From: Chris
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: RE: Fill flash P.S.

Hello,

Well, basically, the flash has to provide enough light to lighten the shadows but less than the highlights.  So measure the highlights with a suitable meter to give an aperture at the 60th second synch speed then use a flash meter to measure the light in the shadows with the flash.  Then use the 9 point Ansel Adams scale to put the shadow about 6 points darker than the highlights.  That will ensure detail in both the highlights at about 8 and the deepest shadow at about 2.

That can be expressed at EV, but I?m unsure of the conversion, if I remember rightly, each of Ansel?s points is one stop different from the next one and they range from 1 at the deepest shadow (with some detail) to 9 the brightest highlight which retains detail.

I hope that makes sense, I was taught by Dr Ingle, who is a well known local photographer, however I?ve found it difficult to apply his methods to my digital snapshots.  He trained me on a 5x4 and a MF setup with a spotmeter.  He used a home made dial to convert the Ansel scale to EV.

Chris.