Re: Slide Dublicators WTT

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> regarding black and white, might I suggest another approach?  "Eastman Fine
> Grain Positive Release Film"  can be bought in 100 foot rolls very
> cheaply - it's an orthochromatic film that can be handled under red
> safelight and can be processed in normal paper developer by inspection.

This worked very well for me.  I didn't actually process by
inspection, though; I bracketed exposures.  Film is cheap.

> I've had a lot of success making slides from B&W negs in the
> following way - Take a contact frame or sheet of glass, lay a cut of
> section of EFGPRF down (emulsion side up) then lay your neg ontop of
> it, emulsion side down.  Set your enlarger to some point (mark it
> off, you can repeat this later) and open your lens up, make a 'test
> strip' exposure of say 2, 4, 8, 16 seconds and develop it, watching
> (and timing!) the development as you go.

I used a front-surface mirror, and then printed from my enlarger into
a camera body.  The camera body gave me a convenient shutter to
control the short exposures.

> stop and fix as normal then gauge which is the best exposure time such that
> you include the highlight details  and maybe modify your development for
> the dark areas on the slide (your dmax)

I occasionally had to re-shoot a slide when the just exposure
adjustment wasn't enough.  By varying development you can get
different contrast levels.

> you'll find you get pin sharp slides with a lot less fuss than by copying
> the images :-)

Sharpness was first-rate, yes.