Re: PF Exhibits on 12 MAR 05

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Bob Talbot
>> Mary
>> Blue and pink, she looks relaxed.  Not so sure about
>> the empty field to the left.  Something on the wall
>> would have been distracting, but something there
>> wouldn't leave it so sparse.  I like that you left the
>> edge on the image.
>
> Trevor.
>
> Leaving the edge on is not something I do often - it was more a way of
> saying "this is what the camera saw".
>
> It wasn't a posed portrait, just a snapshot, but for me the was part
> of the open space was a part of the image.  That's odd 'cause it would
> have been so easy to crop it down.  As you say, indeed, any object in
> the space would have been a distraction. It's just Mary, in her "home"
> cardigan, the edge of a door and a blank wall. I have tried cropping
> it to portrait format and don't like it half as much.
>

> Part of why I posted it to the gallery was to see what people made of
> the non-standard composition.  It's front on but off centre.  It does
> seem to have flash (but I can't remember now) as David spotted.

I thought about composition and decided my analysis skills didn't get
me far enough towards explaining why it worked, and thought I'd quit
while I'm ahead.  *Can* anybody explain why it works?  (Or what it
doesn't; but that'll be harder since I think it does pretty well.)

> As to Chris's "character study" comment.  Isn't that a euphemism for
> ugly in acting circles ?  :o)

Well, sort-of; I think it means "ugly, and I'm jealous that they're
working and I'm not" :-)