To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: Another B&W printing question

kostaspapakotas <kostaspapakotas@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

this one is based on an earlier reply to a Q of mine regarding B&W
printing (see attached message)
So the new Q is something like this:

Is there a device that saves you from test printing? like somekind
of density filters placed over your paper that let you estimated the
density of the covered area and the needed change in the printing
time.
i just wonder...

Several. The Kodak Projection Print Scale is just what you describe -- a series of wedges of different densities.

There have also been a number of darkroom exposure meters, either
dedicated units (like the Durst Analyte) or attachments for
general-purpose exposure meters.

None of these of course *completely* save you from test printing, at
least if you're going for exhibition-quality prints. But they've
saved me a lot of time and paper over the years.