Re: Just curious -- monitor resolution

----- Original Message -----
From: <PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx>

: I thought all monitors were 72dpi except Apples/Macs which are 96 dpi?

no that's an old myth..

lets assume that I have a monitor that's 15" across the bottom width and is
set at 1600 x 1200

or 1280x1024

or 1024 x 768

or 800 x 600

or 600 x 480

the first resolution is 106ppi

the second, 85ppi

the third is 68ppi

fourth is 53ppi

the last is 40ppi <yuck!>

whatever I set my resolution at determines how many pixels are displayed on
the monitor, if it were 1500 x whatever then I'd have 1500 pixels across
the width.  Divide that by the number of inches (15) and I'd have a
resolution of 100 ppi :-)

and from memory it was the macs that were traditionally set to 72 ppi and
the PC's which were usually set at 96 ppi ..

karl
(screen width of 2304 pixels, with a potential of 2880 :-)