thoughts on the end of a big project

Some of you know I've been photographing my niece, Rachel, for the past
year. She was born on February 24 and just celebrated her first birthday
last Thursday. Her 11 month portrait can be seen in the current gallery
here: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/lmurphy.html  Most of the
images were day-to-day types of things with occassional formal portraits
thown in for good measure (and because this past year I bought new
studio lights).

Undecided about how to present the images to Rachel's parents (my sister
and her hubby) I finally settled on the idea of a multimedia presention
on dvd. What an incredible experience this has been.

I began building the presentation 3 weeks ago by converting all the
digital images to bw in Photoshop. These were then put in chronological
order and renumbered in PS before I began building the presentation in
Roxio Multimedia 7. I added music from several of Rachel's music
cds...mostly very soft baby/child music on either guitar or piano. These
were clipped and edited to remove dead air space between songs so one
flowed into the next. Again, this was done from within Roxio. I placed a
slow-fade transition between each image which is very easy on the eyes.
There ended up being almost 400 images in the final presentation which I
finished last night and will present at Rachel's big birthday bash this
afternoon.

All this is really a long way of saying that seeing what are
traditionally still images moving on a tv screen, presented with music
is a very powerful way to view photographs. This is the first time I've
seen my work this way and it's as if a door to a whole new world has
opened to me...and it will be a door I will enjoy traveling through
again and again.

I encourage those of you who are so inclined to give it a try.

Rachel's first year has come to an end and officially my project is over
but I've still not missed a day of shooting...so this may become a two
year project. We'll just have to see.

Lea Murphy Photography
www.whinydogpress.com