Re: weddings (might be a bit long-sorry)

<<
Yes, and all sorts of problems right from the start. It was only after I agreed to do the wedding that I was informed it was only one week away! After I recovered from the shock, I still failed to turn them down. Next, we had our first interview at which time the deposit was to be made. I was told they did not have the cash on them, they left the checkbook at home, and they had a car full of groceries so they had to leave and could they pay me with a check at the rehearsal which was two days away.

Again, shock. (Boy, I need to quit getting shocked!) The story only gets worse from there. The pictures and negatives come back scratched and when the Bride comes to look at them she tells me she does not want any enlargements. (What? We had a contract. But she wants to nearly double the order with the smaller prints. So I figure, okay, it's still good money.) I kept waiting for her to see the lines so I could discuss options, but she didn't see them.

That's when she says (about the enlargements), "I have a scanner at home so I can do my own." (What?) I thought, she has a scanner, she's cheating me out of my potential income, she can fix the pictures herself. So what does she do? She goes to Wal-Mart and has the enlargements done there, discovers the lines, call me up and screams about getting all her money back or she's going to take me to court.

At 7pm last night her husband shows up at my door! (My studio is in my garage.) So I tell him I will fix the pictures myself, put them on a cd and they can take that to Wal-Mart for their enlargements. Again cutting me out of any potential income, but I'm just trying to defuse the situation.

Hubby & I go out. We get back home to find a message. They want the pictures for the enlargements fixed, but since that is only about 5 out of 60, they still want 'some' money returned. And that's where we are for now. Personally, now I'd rather fix all the pictures and bite the dust on the reprints as opposed to any refunds. My position being, I did not scratch the pictures and neither did my camera. I showed the lab's letter to the husband, so he knows it wasn't me that messed up.

Any ideas as to where to go from here? I'm stuck on the fact that I did not damage the pictures so I shouldn't have to refund any money, and I'm willing to do the touch ups and eat the extra expense. I'd even be willing to let her take me to court if that's what she wants. But I just can't swallow refunding any money at this point.>>

Shyrell

I've left it all un-clipped .

I'm assuming from the above money did change hands at the rehearsal, albeit only 2 days before the event.

Did you have any form of written contract, or even had you handed her a sheet containing your terms and conditions (even if she failed to sign in)?

The whole situation looks a nightmare.
It's certainly not helped by the disaster with the negs which I suspect weaken your resolve irrespective of what the contract/law comes down to.

Thanks for being honest with us btw: it's a sobering lesson ...

bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/