Gallish Reveu de 2005-02-19

A complete load of hogwash on display at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  includes ...

Qkano - Abstract
Looks computer genre-ated to me so I'll refrain from further comment
:o)

D.L. Shipman -
Cobweb with dew.

Everything within the frame (/ crop) that needs to be.
Fairly shallow DOF with focus maintained across the face of the web.
Absolutely plain green-grey background.
Real or card?  Don't care much either way but in some degree I like to
see some structure there.

Well taken, but exciting?

Jim Thyer - Queen to Jump
I enjoy deciphering the illusion but I wish  the technical quality of
the scan/photo was better.  Was it a B&W print on a flat bed?

Photographically it's lost all detail in the blacks - hard todelineate
the pawn from it's square.
DOF is a bit small for the subject, the bishop is sharp but the near
pawn decidely soft. Hand held?  Is fo use a tripod and smalle
apperture.

Still, fun to look at ... for it's content.

Gary M. Thomas - Claire
Probably the best of this week's bunch.
A hell of a lot of positive comments will no doubt come for this.
Uncluttered, well framed, "fit for purpose" even no doubt.

I like the lighting and even the shadow.

Minor questions
1) focus does not appear to be sharpest at Claire's eyes: if anything
I'd guess it was best on the rim of the hat.  This is bothering me a
little.
2) trivial comment: as a period drama "The Importance of being
Earnest" ... would a lady of the times have been seen out and about
with her bra straps on view?  I know today it;s no big thing ... but
it just looks out of place - a detail maybe the producer should have
noticed?

Trevor Cunningham - Khafre
A pyramid so what?
Seriously, what is it that is different about this pyramid?
It's shown in very high contrast - the dark side of the pyramid is
only a tad off being pure BLACK.

The sky: heavily polarised or a red filter?

I keep looking at it - while it's a perfectly acceptable / competent
shot of the pyramid, it's not really exciting me

Christopher Strevens - Bus Queue at Morden
I can quite honestly say that this picture is probably better after
PhotoShoppery than it would have been without it.

With half-closed eyes though I like it more than with them fully open.
The overall effect is pleasant enough but the fine detail looks too
regularly/predictable "computer". A painter would not have painted it
like that so "painterly" sort of grates a little.  Of course, the
whole thing could be computer rendered in which case I would have had
to say "well done"

Jeff Spirer - Girl with Bangs
Quite OT but I've never really known what "bangs" were.

Clearly this isn't a classic portrait of the girl.  The background is
too, dunno.  Are they CDs?
She looks down out of the frame: face in deep shadow.  No real
expression.

landscape format but portrait positioning of subject.

It's monochrome and grainy.  It sort of looks candid but i'm not
convinced it was.

I'm not managing to connect with this much beyond saying It's clearly
Jeff's style.

Emily L. Ferguson - Upper Ranch, Pierce Point
This photo is titled ranch yet the picture is just a group of fallen
trees.  The interest seems to beyond the trees, or amybe that is just
my lack of interest in them.  The story (caption) is interesting, but
I'd cave loved to have seen the wildcats, the elk on the reserve,
Tomales Point ... as it is I'm looking at a picture that is eclipsed
by the text.

Sorry.

Polly - The Old  Postbox
The old "totally desaturate the background" trick.  I remember the
slating I got when I first did that on PF!!!

It certainly leave the red of the postbox as a strong memory.
Is it too much though?  It's certainly an overused technique but I'm
debting whether it has worked for this subject?  Would a heavily but
not completley desaturated background have woked better (say, 50-75%
in PS).

For the box itself, the next question is the central placing: it makes
a very static image.  Central can work but it needs luck.  Were there
features out of frame that forced this arrangement or was it a
concious choice?   The dark door to the left might have looked silly
if overcropped but OTOH more of the old shop window could have
improved the shot.

I like it as an image, but I'm still debating the details.

Thanks to all those who took the trouble to contribute.

Bob