My take: A Review of PF Exhibits 2005 Feb 12

OK, a pretty wide assortment this week. Here goes:

Qkano/Bob Talbot: Crab Spider
   At first I was inclined to suggest inverting the image, but on second
thought, leaving the animal upside-down reinforces the feeling of looking in
towards a different world. I like the large areas of primary colors in this
one; the contrast between bright color and the spider's pastel body help to
draw attention to the small lethal specimen. Great work.

Srinivasa R. Regeti: Town of Warrenton
   I love the timeless quality of this image; the warm-toned black and white
works well here. I feel tempted to walk into the image and join the
pedestrians. I want to stop and look at the thrift shop's offerings. I
appreciate the structure and composition in this image, the way everything
leads to everything else. The only thing that bothers me here is the gray
border, second from the inside. If only it were the same warm tone of gray
as the image... But then, that's my only complaint. A wonderful job. An
aside: When I was studying Photography at Virginia Commonwealth University,
I submitted a photo essay which consisted of a series of images taken
between dawn and dusk on one day, confined to the town limits of
randomly-selected Gordonsville, Virginia. The experience turned out to be
far better than the images.

Herschel Mair: Camel trader in Oman
   What I liked best about this image was how the image told a story
regardless of its accompanying text: the man's simple yet formal clothing,
the contours of his face, the way he wears his beard, the very camelesque
fur in the background. You did a great job with the tight cropping; time-of
day and fill-light on the far side of the man's face add considerably to the
image's value.

Emily L. Ferguson: No Fish
   Overall, I like this shot. The atmospheric effects and rough surf
contrast well with the subdued color and silhouette of the people on the
beach. In my opinion, the end of the fishing rod shouldn't be so close to
the edge; perhaps if the zoom were backed off a little, showing more of the
water in the background, this may have been a stronger image; maybe if the
people were caught coming toward you, as opposed to broadside...  I don't
know. Maybe it is better left alone.

Rich Mason: Forest
   I have a deep appreciation for images of things which are not what they
seem to be.  This one is reminiscent of "Games" Magazine's "Eyeball
Benders", and although I am sure I have seen this sort of arrangement
before, cannot remember it ever looking like a forest. Or is it because if
the photo's title? It also looks like a graphic used to promote a local
gospel festival several weeks ago. Compositionally, great choice on going
tight, but the top of the center "tree", in my opinion, shouldn't have been
dethatched. Pretty clever, Rich.

Laurenz Bobke: Luxor Sunrise
   This is a brilliant shot. In the thumbnail, the balloon looked as though
it were a red sun peeking through violet clouds. The deep adobe colors in
the rocks, trees, sky are simply amazing. Obviously you thought of this
beforehand, if you had the location scouted and set up the tripod prior to
sunrise. Out of curiosity, why did you select Velvia, if the colors are
already outrageous? I'm not complaining; just interested in seeing what this
would look like represented by different films...  I would like to see more
from this trip!

Brian van den Broek: A Pillar of Society
   Interesting composition. The central figure is leaping out of the frame,
and the surrounding structural elements are coverging to a point behind his
head. The monotone palette reduces all objects to alike forms (noisy), and
may create a bit of confusion; not sure if that would have been eliminated
or reduced by shooting in b/w and toning. You used an array of digital
tools, possibly in an experimentation mode; creating some post-process
selective focus may have improved the image as well; it appears to be
slightly fuzzy.

Terry L. Mair: Early Morning Timp
   First off, congratulations on being undaunted by thick fog.
Compositionally, this image works pretty well; the mountain in the
background, its reflection in the water, a framing device of silhouetted
brush in the immediate foreground. I believe it would have been improved
upon by lowering the shooting position a bit, thereby reducing the extent of
empty water space and expanding the sky. Not sure what the native format of
this shot was, but I would really like seeing a wall-size enlargement made
from a 4x5 piece of film. ;-)

Pini Vollach: Hands
   Not quite sure about this one, Pini. Hands. I see a circle of hands here
leading from the bottom of the frame around the child's head and back around
to the top left. But really, I'm not seeing much more of merit indicative of
your caliber of work here. There's a degree of unsharpness throughout the
image, some distracting blotchy noise in the upper right. From a purely
graphic standpoint, I like the color regions as they relate to one another:
black/white, red fabric, brown skin, a swath of green bisecting the image,
and dotted blue in the upper right corner.

CJR Strevens: Judy
   Is this a photograph? I suppose it is all in the presentation.
Interesting how it can start out as a digital photo, then turn into a
quasi-watercolor. The jury's still out as to whether this technique improves
the image. Maybe it just creates a parallel composition subject to its own
interpretation. As for what I see on my monitor, I like the interplay of
light and shadow here. The model, however, looks a bit apprehensive, a
little tense. Otherwise, good use of light and positioning. Rough edges
remind me of prints made with handmade negative carriers in undergrad, and
create visual interest if used sparingly enough.

Well, that should just about do it for me. I thank all of you for your
contributions this week. I look forward to your replies.

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz