Some thoughts of PF Galleries on 05 FEB 05

Hi cogallerists!

I am not the guy who usually writes Gallery overviews, but as my computer is mostly crashed for the weekend (only my CD-RW is working and what I can do is to use a Knoppix live distro right from the CD and surf around in the Internet), I have almost no choice.

My poor English and mean character won't help me much here.

The very first impression, when I opened the site and had a glimpse over the thumbnails, was Woow! - this time the whole bunch looks interesting!

And to be honest - it still does!

Pini Vollach - Long-house mystery
-----------------------------------
Perhaps the composition of the shot is a little bit too incidental, but the atmosphere and palette compensate all of it. I love the semi-profile of the man, drawm out by the shadow and the way how red tones in the background give pleasant contrast with the bluish grey smoke. The silhouette at the back door adds dynamic effect and counterbalances nicely.

Rich Mason
------------
This one seemed first to be prettier in the thumbnail format, but then I was blown away by the chaotic canonade of eyes. Everyone is looking into totally different direction. Everyone is so much from absolutely different narrative.
It surely should be assumed in a place like this, but there is something vivid in that moment.

Bob Talbot - Doorway
----------------------
Who said it reminds X-Files? This may be true!
We can see such empty walls and nothingness in hospitals or new appartments.
No character, no peculiarity, no individuality.
Only the question in the woman's eyes.
And the walls.

Jeff Spirer - Pajaros
-----------------------
This is my favourite of the week.
Real situations turn surreal in a split of a second.
The rule of big numbers.
One pajaro is quite normal. Another one too.
But millions of pajaros make it look and feel absolutely different.
This is not simply "lots of pajaros". This is a brand new next-level concept. This is one big and fat "pajaroness".

But aside of that I like the picture.
Very uniform subjects hold kind of peculiarity, that turns to be captivating.

There's an artist in Estonia, who is called Navitrolla. He is one of my favourites and this picture reminds me the atmosphere from some of his works.

For reference:
http://www.art.net/TheGallery/Navitrolla/Pages/m.html
http://www.navitrolla.ee

D.L. Shipman - Anhinga and Heron
---------------------------------
These creatures look just like from a fairy-tale.
The collision of evil and divine. Err, more of co-existence.
The light, though slightly dark, looks very good. Darkness helps to emphasize the white head of the Heron, also create the frightening black silhouette against the grey sky.

David Small - I love Mom
--------------------------
As a thumbnail this picture looked very morbid.
The larger version looks even more morbid.
Without the explanative comment it would have remained so.
Now it's only absurd.
But the tonality and framing are rather good (emphasize morbidity :)

John Mason - Snowstrom
------------------------
Oh boy how very familiar it looks.
I know that feeling!

Good opportunity to get some space onto landscape pictures.

About the composition - for me slightly more cropping would work better. I'd want to get rid of the partial spruce on the right edge. Some of the trees/bushes in the background could have been more separately, not covered by the foreground branch.

Peeter Vissak
--------------
Proto-kaamos situation at the Baltic Sea coast.
(Almost from my window :)

Terry L. Mair - Misty Mourning
-------------------------------
Why mourn when the Big World looks so green!?
The fence reminds me the legend about the Coen-Brothers who are said to never agree if the infinity, to where the fence should run, has to be in the right or in the left from the cameraman.
Here it runs exactly as appropriate.

Emily L. Ferguson - South Beach sunset colors
This picture, apart of being beautiful, looks very .. hmm .. exact.
I get just the very right feeling of a sunset.

I'm still alive (although very tired) and so is my computer (sort of). Perhaps I'll do this sometimes again!

Peeter

ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
http://www.itv.ee