AF-D lense question

What does it mean AF-D lense? Obviously it is autofocus, but is the D compatible for digital? What I am trying to say is that, for example, a Nikon 24-120VR AF-D lense, would it be a true 24mm on a digital camera? I am trying to figure out exactly what type of lense is made for digital cameras and is actually what is says on the lense, i.e. 17mm actually being 17mm. Also, is that lense, the 24-120 a good lense or should I go with the 18-70 Nikkor AF-S DX lense that comes with the camera? Neither one has a fixed aperture setting.

Leslie