Re: OK, which camera?

You have gotten a lot of advise on the subject. Go to the Ken Rockwell site, the Thom Hogan site, dpreview, Steve's digicams etc. There is a wealth of info available from testers and users if you look for it. I have used Nikon film cameras since 1957 and have never been disappointed. I have been tempted to switch to Canon on occasion but Nikon always catches up and maybe surpasses. If you have Nikon lenses already the choice is simplified. The D70, which I have used for about 8 months, is a superb camera and beats the D100 in technology. The Fuji, in my opinion, is not the same quality and will probably not hold up as well under hard usage or harsh conditions. You will not go wrong with the D70; it will do what you need unless you are schlepping around the jungles in the Phillipines or something. Actually, I know a PJ doing just that who thinks the D70 is fine so far. Don't rely on people's opinions too much. We all have our prejudices and favorites. Look for the test sites and weigh what they all say. There will be differences even there. In short, quit agonizing, do a little homework, make your choice and you will not be wrong. I still advocate the D70 for Nikon folks.
Don

LScottPht@xxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks, Tina! Believe me, if I had the money, that would be my number one choice. Unfortunately, I don't. I can only spend around $1300, and it would have to be compatible with my Nikon lenses since I can't afford to buy a new Canon camera and new lenses for the Canon.
Leslie

    Leslie - For photographing in developing countries, you want a sturdy
    camera that is weather-sealed.  That usually means one of the top of
    the
    line cameras.  I don't know what that would be in Nikon, but in
    Canon, the
    Mark II is very good for photojournalism.  You also want a long-lasting
    battery that can be easily recharged - again, usually the top of the
    line
    has the best battery.

    Tina

Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
* *
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. --Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.