Re: OK, which camera?

The Nikon D100 was introduced years before the D70...when DSLRs commanded a higher price point. It just isn't very 'Nikonish' to lower the price below the D70 now, even though the D70 is an improvement in many respects.

Comparing the D70 to the S2, you'll find that while most consider the S2 to have superior dynamic range and auto white balance ability and lower noise at ISO 1600, the D70 comes back with far faster operation - AF, startup time, shooting buffer, write speeds and much better battery life (long life lithium with inexpensive spares versus 4 AAs). If I were strictly a studio photographer, the S2 would be the better camera for me. If I were an action photographer or journalist, the D70 would be the better choice between the two. There are gives and takes either way, not a totally superior camera overall. Honestly, I don't think you'll go wrong with the D70 from what you described.

-Tim
www.imagefactoryphotography.com