Re: Rules, was; comments

The rule of thirds was brought to bare on the idea that people are more 'engaged' in a piece of art that conforms to the rule of balance in composition using three zones or areas so as to engage their intelligence. With no organization, there's no interest.

S.
----- Original Message ----- From: <dave6134@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: Rules, was; comments

At 12:17 AM 1/23/2005 -0800, you wrote:
Steichen and Steiglitz were two who tried to create a "foundation" for art photography. Would this be rules?

Gregory david Stempel

Now that I think about it, I remember something about the rule of golden thirds originating in the golden age of Greek art.

Just maybe, over a period of time, people noticed that pictures evenly divided between land and sky or sea and sky were not quite as interesting than those which included more of one than the other. Maybe, people noticed that the primary subject might be more interesting if it wasn't exactly in the middle of the image. Maybe over a period of time these suggestions, and others, acquired the status of laws to some people.

Dave
East Englewood
The proof is in the prints.