Re: PF Galleries on 15 JAN 05

At 11:33 AM 1/15/2005 -0500, you wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was on display at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Robert G. Earnest -

This is an interesting picture well done. In my estimation it looks like a good job for "Bicycle Repair Man" of M.P. skit fame.

Greg Fraser - Hwy 3

This looks like the Lethbridge bridge but then again maybe not but then again, again, may be so. I should think this shot would make a very nice large print. I don't know why but I would have cropped to place the lower left angle exactly in the corner. And the same for the upper right corner. I don't know why I would do that but that's just the way I am. Also there's a noticeable lack of giraffetti.

Qkano - NABS

Is this sunset picture possibly from the North Atlantic Battle Squadron collection?. I might have croped differently. There isn't much going on in the forewater at the bottom and it is running out of clouds at the top. When I was a child those reflections in the water were called Angels stairs. Now a days they are probably called reflection in the water.

Terry L. Mair - Cotton Woods on Spring creek

A lovely shot with beautiful color and great composition. I think this picture would also work as a black-and-white shot taken later in the day and printed on slightly blue toned paper and with a lot of snap. Or maybe not.

John Mason - Figures by Allan Hauser

I don't much care for the figures in the background. It probably would like a lot better if they were in focus.

Barry Marsh - Ichthyosaur Skull (part)

An interesting piece. Have you ever tried a ring light? Vivitar makes an inexpensive one. You might give it a go to see if it works for you without investing big money in a larger one. I would think the number and the shape of the teeth, more than the size, would delineate this specimen as that of a carnivore.

Emily L. Ferguson -

An interesting crop. Light houses usually have a lot of clutter at the base. If I were painting a lighthouse I would want mine with white it the top instead of the bottom. It would be more visible at a distance during the day.

Laurenz Bobke - Evening Train

Evocative and very well timed shot. Your title gave a way a lot of the mystery, though..

David Small - Coffee break

I like just about everything in this shot. Full dynamic range but you might try it with the white point moved up little. Lots and lots of mystery here. This subject expression and pose show tension. Something unpleasant may be approaching. Why the latex gloves. Maybe a neurosurgeon on coffee break? Or not.

Trevor Cunningham - neighbor's kid

The HEI just isn't fast enough for this light. Nice gritty black-and-white here. I miss the old super X grain. Isn't that hat called a tarboosh?

Leslie Spurlock - Billy, A Rebel.

There's either too much in this picture or not enough. A nice record shot though. Never argue with a man who has a gun in his hand.

Peeter Vissak -

The newly exposed roots contrast with old and worn wood. Not much in the way of composition. The two colors are about the only interesting elements.

Dave
East Englewood
The proof is in the print.