Re: PF Galleries on 15 JAN 05

Bob-
I understand, and agree, and would, in some cases like this one, consider cropping. I just don't like it when (at least for my own photos) the picture is cropped in such a way that it ends up being very different from the one you actually photographed. A little bit off the edge or something is fine. Again, this is just how I feel about my own photos. I just feel that certain cropping, to me, is cheating in a way and not the photo that I took. I would agree with cropping this particular photo. As a photojournalist more than a fine art photographer, I just don't like a lot of manipulation of my pictures. I am also the type of person that very rarely uses flash unless absolutely necessary. I am kind of a purist in that way. This whole digital thing freaked me out at first, but I now fully understand the benefits of it and actually went digital for my last assignment. I am slowly changing my ways. But, again, I do agree that the person needs to be cropped out to enhance this image.
Do you swap cameras when you want to swap aspect ratios?
I understand a little what you are saying but not all pictures I want
to take with my 35mm camera are 3:2.

Sometimes the picture I'm seeing is panorama: sometimes it is square
... life is boring if you have to stick to full frame.

As a compromise, maybe you could allow yourself to crop horizontally
XOR vertically.  :o)
- and maybe onlt then if it was "pre-planned"

Bob