Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 3623 D100 color balance

Here's another twist on workflow for getting good color balance while shooting RAW. I leave the camera set to a WB of flash, pull up all the raw files in Photoshop's file browser, pick one typical image for the shoot, tweak the image in Camera Raw until I'm happy and then apply those settings to the whole shoot with the file browser menu command. I then use a java script from Russell Brown - Dr. Brown's Image Processor - http://www.russellbrown.com/ that takes all the images in the folder or selected in file browser and converts them all to psd, jpg or tiff, or all three.

I used this method on a shoot for the catalog of a juried art show they do here. I shot about 134 pieces plus a gray card. Color balanced one raw file for the gray card, applied these setting to all the raw files and ran the script. No need to crop any of these - the person doing the layout did that - so none of the images were actually opened in Photoshop. The whole process from downloading the cards to burning the tiffs on CD for the designer probably took 15 to 20 minutes. Almost the speed of jpeg with all the control of raw.

The more I learn about the power of file browser in Photoshop, the more time it saves me.

Don

--
Don Lintner
Graphics/Photo Program Manager