Re: as they passed

Getting away from the subject content of the photo (as mentioned below and in most of the reviews) and back to the quality of the image I would like to say that:
I like the photo and the mood of the photo, but the composition could be greatly enhanced if the white tombstones on the right and left edge of the picture where cropped out.

As a rule of thumb, anything that is light in color and is touching the border of a photo becomes an unknown distraction as it repeatedly leads your eye out of the photo. Of course your eye always jumps back into the the photo but this mental image jumping fights the overall quality of the image's composition. Your eye travel pattern can be relaxed by not allowing a white or light colored object to sit on the picture's edge. To see the difference just put the picture "As They Passed" on your monitor and then place your thumbs over the white tombstones on the right and left side of the picture. Notice how much easier and relaxing it is to view the image with those white eye grabbing tombstones removed.

When I was a student at the Art Center College in LA (now in Pasadena) many many rears ago, we had a photo journalism teacher, Will Connell 1989-1961 (Council by Connell in US Photography Magazine) who would go through a current issue of Life Magazine and re-crop most of the major pictures to improve them. I was astonished by what a few simple rules of cropping could do to improve what I thought were great images which were already cropped by great editors to began with.

Walter Holt