Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

> The purple towel came out blue and the
> Christmas red bow came out bright and I do mean bright orange in
color on my Epson
> digital camera on the auto setting. Film may be dead but digital
ain't here
> yet either in quality.

"Auto white balance" , along with auto-focus and auto-exposure are
double-edged swords.

For the novice, they give a fast track way to getting tolerable shots
for most scenes most of the times. Once those habits are ingrained, it
becomes easy to blame the camera for everything.

The task though, especially for TRUE auto exposure or TRUE white
balance  is nigh-on impossible (almost*)  when the camera has only
reflected light (the stuff entering through the lens) to go on.  It
really can never (read it is impossible) distinguish between whether a
scene is lit by light with  a red cast or everything in the scene is
red and the light was actually white (like the swan in a snow storm vs
black cat on a coal heap example for auto exposure).  To get this
right needs some form of user input.

Why it works most of the time of course is that most scenes do infact
have a whole range of tones and hues.
The problem for the new user (only having learned on aut-everything
cameras) is that longer term the reliance on auto handicaps against
moving further.  The old farts who were brought up on film have a real
advantage with using digital in that they have an ingrained
understanding of lighting, exposure etc etc ... skills I suspect that
will die with them ;o)

Bob

* My patented remote mounted "ambient light sensor" placed either on
the hot-shoe or near the scene allows the camera to make auto-WB and
auto-exposure calcs based on ambient instead of reflected ligh