Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper and alternative processes.

In a message dated 15/12/04 6:36:26 am, tr_cunningham@xxxxxxxxx writes:

.anybody think that alt process might take on the fad akin to microbrews?  i know in about 15 min i'm going to mix up a batch or ammonium iron citrate and potassium ferricyanide...maybe i'll get something for next week's gallery

Digital is the current way of doing it. There have been similar revolutions over the course of photography. One example was the switch to film itself about a hundred years ago. Most of the older processes, replaced by more efficient methods,  have something worth preserving. Digital, for example still cannot produce prints of as high a quality as a platinim print in terms of range and gradation and this is especially so in the case of my new albumen/platinum printing method. As to cyanotypes,  better results can be obtained with two other chemicals making the cyanotype rex process. There is also a chrysotype rex process, see

www.hands-on-pictures.com

Digital is another useful  tool in our tool box.

Terry

Terry