Re: PF Exhibits on 04 DEC 04

In a message dated 12/11/2004 12:25:08 PM Central Standard Time, elf@xxxxxxxx writes:
How I wish both eyes were looking straight at me, and with something
other than matter-of-factness.  This does not look like a scared,
damaged, or even concerned child and the "victim" element would be
palpable if it did.  She looks like a well dressed, intact, well shod
kid, to boot, so I'm not feeling the victimhood that we understand to
have come from the mudslides and flooding at Gonaive.
Emily-
Thanks for the review. This photo was not meant to show tragedy, but rather to show the good work the UN is doing trying to help these people. While she may not have any cuts and bruises, believe me, I have many more tragic type shots, she is most likely ill due to lack of food, water, and possibly some disease. I felt her eyes showed an emptiness. Her clothes were not tattered, but that was not really the point of this photo. Anyway, I totally understand what you are saying, but I still kind of like it as a personal favorite. I'm tired of viewing all the horrendous and sad photos, so many of mine I can't show on this forum, and this one leaves me feeling a little better amongst such a tragedy.  Leslie