Re: portraits and permissions

This is the reply I got from "www.artquest.org.uk/artlaw/" on this subject

Not surprisingly it's as vague as everyone else's opinions!

Howard

<<Dear Howard,

I'm not sure of the 'restrictive legislation' you're referring to, but it depends entirely on what you're photographing, and what you intend to do with the photographs.  Buildings and permanently
sited public sculpture can be photographed as they are in the public domain (see http://www.artquest.org.uk/artlaw/copyright/copynew2.htm).  People usually have to be consulted and a signed release
form obtained if the photography is to be published or used for commercial gain.  For other artworks including photographs, you would need to seek clearance from the copyright holder.

More information is available in the Current Copyright Legislation section of the Artlaw Archive, which I suggest you consult for any other general enquiries.  Please also read the disclaimer at the
end of this email.

Best wishes,
Russell