Re: portraits and permissions / was: PF Exhibits on 04 DEC 04

In a message dated 12/8/04 3:56:47 AM Central Standard Time,
nimbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  Even street photography, photos taken where
 people can be identified is illegal.  The general rule: "no portraits
 without permission".  For most purposes, verbal permission is all that is
 required. >>

Actually, that is not true. If you are doing editorial photography, you are
allowed to take anyone's photo on the street or in a public park, etc. I was
told this specifically by one of the editors of the Dallas Morning News, as well
as by other newspaper people. You can also take a photo of a person in their
private domain if they can be viewed from the street. I take people's
photographs all the time in photojournalism without written consent. I do it in a way
that people don't see me as an intrusion, however. They know I am there to
tell there story, so they don't mind. I am also not the type of person that
photographs someone if they tell me no unless it is a major story.

Leslie