Re: image quality - film vs. digital

As for printers, I've had only the most cranky output from my Stylus CX5200. It seems much more inclined to simply refuse to print anything resembling proper color unless I use Epson Inks. I finally had to find a discount place to buy them from, after using all my usual sources for aftermarket.

Very tiresome.

With my 10D I find the color more accurate, whether I shoot jpeg and use a custom color balance, or shoot RAW and tweak the highlights myself. To put it from the other side, Fuji Velvia is so extreme that people have been writing Curve and Levels profiles to make digital files adjust to look like Velvia! Even with Auto White Balance I'm getting correct skin tones and correct sky and grass colors, and sometimes I wish I weren't because they're not all hyped up like what I'm accustomed to with Velvia! In that sense I'd say the tonal range is broader but has to be pushed to get the saturated extremes that are popular in my specialties.

My 10Ds LCD monitor does not accurately show the shot's brightness, still when I look at the histogram it looks like what I think it should.

In fact, that's one of the only two things I think I'd like changed about the 10D. The other is the lag before it's ready to shoot when you turn it on.

And for only $4K I could have an accurate LCD screen and immediate readyness too.....

The lag with the 20D is somewhat less than with the 10D and the LCD screen is apparently much closer to accurate.

As for color temperature concerns, on my 10D I can dial in the temp in 100K increments from 2800K to 10000K, which would be great if I did a lot of studio work. So, no, I don't think that constitutes a limitation, just a convenience.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx