Need Help with Quick Mask

Hi All

I am experiencing problems today with using quick mask in PS CS. I open a JPG and when I click on the Quick Mask button I select a brush and want to paint and create a mask for a portion of the photo but not seems to be painted when I brush on the photo. My "normal mask color is red" but today absolutely nothing, even when I exit quick mask mode I dot get the marching ants any help is appreciated, it was working fine yesterday.

Tony