Re: PF Exhibits on 20 NOV 04

I don't understand "postmodern" - could someone explain the concept to me, please?

Emily,

It's a long story.
It's philosophy.
Everything that You want to criticize or praise, You may call "postmodernist". Those involved get their message ;o)

More practically -- modern times were connected with the triumphal march of technology, mechanics, clever and useful machinery. Triumph of constructive human wisdom.
Postmodern ages aren't anything we are able to call a name, so we say "what it's not" -- we call it' "postmodern".
Technology and mechanics haven't saved the world; new optimistic ages are gone and over -- the world is busy with rapidly disappearing resources; nobody believes in engineering and constructive human mind; instead of strong concrete states there is one big global village; everybody communicates to everybody; Highly intellectual mind is little by little exchanging the more "limited" simple constructive one. The mankind is putting every hope to the card of a new ultra high tech (never seen or described before), mainly a tottally and unbelievably capable new sources of energy (torsions etc)
Quite soon integral times and then holistic times arrive. Then more and more people understand that the world is one absolutely interconnected and intercorrelated unity.

That's the heavily simplified story. For a full insight read Ken Wilber's books ;o)

Photographing with a cell phone (or ball-point pen or credit card or handkerchief or bare hand) is a milestone of new ages when old mechanical hasselblads suck with ultrasonic speeds and one has to purchase a new digital wonder twice in a week, to be updated and in the business ;o)

The co-phenomenon of this new kind of photography is the totally new posture, reverent and servile in it's deep nature.

I'm lucky and pleased with myself to have caught one to the sensor.

Cheer up -- philosophy nowadays is more than simple ;o)
So is photography.

Peeter
---