Re: phones again and Re: Medium format cameras discontinued by Fujifilm & Bronica

My reading suggested much the same as my own earlier warning a few weeks
prior to this article being written, that if pros and consumers *don't*
stick with film and support the medium (and the cameras that go with it)
then the warning presented in one of the oldest and most respected journals
of photography may come to pass and there may be nothing else BUT mobiles
to shoot with

..unless you can afford to pay top dollar for elite items.

Indeed, I agree.  However, such price hikes may be unavoidable.  Hell, Bush was re-elected.  My first introduction to a digital camera was almost ten years ago when a digital SLR was about fifteen to twenty thousand dollars.  It was being used by a company called Insta-Plak out of Toledo, Ohio.  Their biggest ticket was following the PGA tour and processing plaques with photos made on the spot.  Now dSLR's are easily affordable to anyone.  And since they can function as a point and shoot, will become popular with the average folk.  These are the same people who have lessened their cinema attendance with widespread release of VHS and DVD (and, incidentally, have more movies for their children than for themselves because it's easier that way); who have a carry-out menu from every joint in town on their refridgerator; who use the Internet for long distance phone calls; who are beginning to feel that one-hour photo isn't as convenient as previously conceived because they can order their groceries online and not have to go to the store anymore; who voted for Bush...I don't believe any collection of artists wearing their Leicas on their sleeves (snobs) can compete with the juggernaut of sloth permeating through the Western market.  Regardless of the influence the late Dr. Atkins has had, people are generally fat and lazy and they like products to suit.

I'm in the beginning steps of experimenting with gum bichromate and cyanotype processes (try finding chemicals in Egypt!).  The fact that it's forcing me to build a camera for a big enough neg to make it worthwhile makes it even more fun to me...but then, I'm really only a hobbyist and we can be weird like that (Greg, love the view camera in your site!).  Maybe, someday people will start micro businesses like that brewing fad and make film and paper instead...and the forum will get to argue about the delicate qualities and differences between their local filmeries.

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?