Re: PF Exhibits on 24 OCT 04 -- Better late than never (wellthat'sdebatable)

> Now this crop is MUCH nicer, and I think it makes the image a more
more workable one.
Thanks ;o)

> It fills the frame with interesting elements, in the foreground, as
well as the pretty sky.
The original was "half-and-half" which classic "rules" of composition
often warn against.
I didn't go Karl's route (although I tried it first) because once I
cropped the plant totally it became much less interesting.
The choice of crop location in the sky was determined by the cloud
patterns - I look hard to see what small clouds distract (there was
one to the right) and where the shapes I leave act within the frame
not taking you outside.

> Personally, I didn't mind the building (not that I could have done
much about it).
Check out another very minor edit ...
http://www.st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk/tempery/hameed-2b.jpg

Actually, I agree, I don't think the building *should* matter per se -
the problem for me is that it's original dead centre position enhances
it's dominance to the eye.
Had it been down more to the left it would not have troubled me so
much ... the centre spot of a photo can be very poweful.
Oh darn it, I'll move the building to show what I mean ... link as
above ;o)

If you are taking advertising shots for travel brochure (view from
hotel balcony) obviously such manipulations border on fraud.  If you
claim it is a straight shot just to boost your "status" then you are a
fake. If you just want to produce a pretty picture of a "desert scene"
to hang on the wall and don't misrepresent it as anything else then
actually I don't see any real issues ...

Bob