RE: Fw: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

Tim,

As you have a D70, I recommend an alternative to the generally good
suggestion offered below.  Use the D70's Preset White Balance.  This
color-meters the light and sets the white balance appropriately.  I've been
shooting is mixed and strange light lately.  In these environments, I carry
a piece of white printer paper in my shirt pocket.  When lighting conditions
change, I set focus at infinity and expose the CCD to the paper held by hand
in front of the lens to set white balance.  Very easy after doing it a
couple times.

In your case, I can imagine something like the following.  If your
environment is lighted by incandescent lights, first put an amber gel over
the flash to make flash and ambient consistent.  Then preset the white
balance as described in pages 52-55 of the D70 manual.  You might want a
large (3 ft x 4 ft) white poster board so you can have the flash a
reasonable distance from the reference object.  If ambient is fluorescent,
use the appropriate green gel.

The manual mentions using a gray card, which is OK, but the camera's auto
exposure will make any neutral object 18% gray, so the tone of the reference
object is pretty much irrelevant - it just has to be neutral.  A pure bright
white surface is fine.

... David B