Re: NGS Photography Workshops

----- Original Message ----- From: "James B. Davis" <jbdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have an image of a flying heron (what else :-). It's in pretty strong but diffused sunlight from it's rear away from me. It's head is therefore in a bit of shade while parts of it's wings are fully sunlit.

While it's nice to keep the whole bird showing details, the wing tends
to be quite light in colour and really reflects at a low angle, in
fact it looks white. In this image, it's totally blown out highlight.

Good thing too, cause the head, the face is perfectly exposed.

I can only imagine the effect of great highlight details in the wings,
while the face is so dark you can't see it's eye.

Why don't you just take one shot exposed for the head and one exposed for the wing and combine them in the computer? Depending on your camera exposure compensation might even cover the range for you. Unless you intended to have something blown out, I don't really see any excuse for glaring flaws in an image. Sure with film you really have to work to print from two negatives at once but with Photoshop anyone can do the same thing even if they only have one useable arm.

Greg Fraser
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg