Approaching business owners

Could some of you please give me an idea as to how to approach a local businesses asking them to let artists (including photographers) hang their work in their businesses?

Do I promise the business a cut of any sales? Is the artist solely responsible for insuring their work? Does the artist take responsibility for hanging the work?

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Marilyn