Re: Flash Compensation

lea <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes, some type of diffuser is a given. I use a little plastic box-type
> thing (made by Sto-fen but in white, not colored
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&;
> Q=&sku=205239&is=REG) that sits on the heads of my flash to soften the
> light. I've put one on each of my flashes and never take it off...I use
> it inside, outside, wedding, kids, pets, no matter what it never comes
> off. I point my light at a 45ish degree angle and let 'er rip. What I
> like about this brand is that it is a slide on deal...no velcro, rubber
> bands, etc and the thing is stout...doesn't flop around and seem as if
> it might fall off.

Those aren't "diffusers" in the sense I'm used to using the term.
Their value lies in directing some of the flash off in various
directions to give a combination of bare-bulb effect and ordinary
bounce.  (And I rather like them; I've got the one that came with my
SB-80DX and one I bought for my SB-28).