Flash Compensation

Listers, I need some advice on flash compensation.

Most of the photos I've ever made have been shot in
existing light or available darkness.  (Fast primes,
baby.)  Flash, for me, has largely been
happy-snaps-only.

I want to experiment with flash photography, beginning
with fill flash.  I want to lighten in shadows and
otherwise lift the veil of darkness, but I'd like the
use of the flash to be as subtle as possible.

My Nikon F100 has no dedicated flash compensation
commands.  Neither does my flash, though it does have
a 1/16th setting.  The camera does, of course, have
exposure compensation.

Here's my plan for on-camera fill flash.  Tell me
where I'm going wrong.

(Note:  I want to start the experimenting with the
flash on-camera.)

1)  Place flash on camera.  Put small white card on
back side of flash; hold in place with rubber bands.
Tilt flash head up about 45 degrees.

2)  Select manual mode.  Meter the subject manually
and set exposure.

3)  Dial in negative exposure compensation--say -1/2,
-1, and -1 1/2 or -1/3, -2/3, and -1 1/3--to back the
flash off.

4)  Expect properly exposed images, with subject
brighter to varying degrees than background.

And:

1)  Place flash on camera.  Put small white card on
back side of flash; hold in place with rubber bands.
Tilt flash head up about 45 degrees.

2)  Set to manual mode.  Meter the subject manually
and set exposure.

3)  Set flash to 1/16th.

4)  Expect properly exposed images, with subject
slightly brighter than background.

--John

=====
J Mason