Re: After dodging bombs in the Sinai, I'm ready to review!

beautiful!  I had this buddy who used to enjoy displaying his hardware at parties.  He had a prince albert y-joint that gave him the option of evacuation angles.  When I was researching my fist tattoo I was looking into Celtic knotwork.  Remembering I was agnostic, and (unfortuntately in a variety of ways) mathematical, I failed to see any reason for such a religious choice and started designing my own.  Indeed my opinion is small on body art, but I am very interested to see the long term results of this new adoption by youth culture.  However, my interests would be peaked by piercings that pass through the bones in the arm or leg...perhaps, even the skull.  I simply can't escape the notion that ancient cultural traditions are also victim to vanity.

And the Yanomamo are also know in local language as "The Fierce People"  their culture is surrounded in the notion of intimidation.  The schoolyard punch in the arm for flinching is a right to kill in their tradition.  Most of the pierced peopl I've met are peaceful...let's not give into negative stereotypes.  But you're right, that would smart if you rolled over.

Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 02:35 AM 10/10/2004, trevor cunningham wrote:
>I'm a big fan of tattoo as its purposes of communication and self
>_expression_ can be solid and bold. But this piercing thing is still lost
>on me. I reminds me of that Levi's kids jeans commercial where the
>message was buy your own individuality, buy Levi jeans. Manufactured self
>_expression_ died with Warhol IMO.

Both tattooing and piercing have long traditions, back to ancient
times. Piercing and tattooing have ritualistic, appearance, and
identification reasons. Both were relatively contained in contemporary
Western society until recently, although tattooing was common among
military men and women pierced each ear (once), so maybe what you are
seeing is a release that reflects the historical lack of this type of
adornment. Piercing of different parts of the body has been far more
widespread than generally known - Mayan women pierced their tongues and
Mayan men pierced their penises, for example, for blood-letting rituals.

There is an interesting photograph here -
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1576871371.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg - not that
well reproduced, unfortunately, but it shows a tradition of tattoos and
piercing that probably dates back thousands of years and completely
dominates the appearance of the person. I still wonder about sleepting -
if you roll over, it could be painful.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?