Re: The great debate

Hi Marilyn,
I'll take the challenge.

*Why did you choose being a photographer over being a painter or other
type of artist?
Never made that choice. Having studied both, I do both. Photography is
instant satisfaction. Painting and sculpture takes longer but produces
satisfaction as well.

*Do you consider photography an art? Yes.
Why?  Photography and painting both have learned techniques. Students are
able to study from masters in both areas. Things to consider are lighting
and composition. There is also subject and color placement, color
saturation, mood and evoked emotion. As in what is considered to be "Fine
Art",  people, places and things are considered for subject matter. The
artist gets an idea, begins pulling together possible supplies needed and
begins work. At any given point the artist will stand back, take a look
and see if what is developing is to his (her) liking. Same for
photographers. People, places, things are all subject matter. They get an
idea, gather supplies, begin work, look over their prints and either stop
or go on. Now there is controversy among artists (painters) as to whether
or not painting from photographs is "real" art or is it only art when the
painter is outside with his canvas or using a live model. For me, because
of health problems, I do a lot of "fine art" painting from photographs. I
still consider this art as well as the photo I may be using. For collage
work, "fine art" artists will destroy photographs and reattach them to
other things. For my portraits, still, I use photographs. But again there
is lighting, color, subject placement, etc. For me, it is all art.
Why not?

*Name aspects of painting (drawing, sculpting, etc.) that are in common
with photography.
See above.
*Aspects that are not in common.

*Do you know of any people who are painters or sculptors and
photographers and successful in both areas?  Me, but I'm not famous.
Though I was, for a time, developing a good reputation in this area.
(Then my son died and I dropped out for a long time.) If you're
interested I'll be happy to share my credits with you privately.
Can you give me names so I can research these people?

Shyrell