Re: Painters and Artists

<<<
Now, this is one of the very few texts I´ve ever read that really
illuminates the "soul" part of software writing (and its relevance to
photography is deeply there).

Good software writing is indeed more of an art than a skill.  OK, in the newsgroups you will always find those that claim having to learn the semantics of a language (the "rules" if you like") is inherently counter-creative, but then again, you get that in photography too.

What is good software? Or should I ask, what is "artistically written" software.  A bit like what is a good photo.  Well, it depends whether you are a businessman or an artist maybe: if the customer is happy to pay good money for it then it's good?

>From an artistic viewpoint good "IMO" is simple - no more needed than necessary.  Simple modules/compositions are harder (much harder) to achieve and is usually what distinguishes the novice writer/photographer.  What can I leave out?  What distracts from, rather than clarifies/adds value to the code/image.  Also, of course, there is getting it right first time: it is much easier to write clean code/take a good photo that have to spend hours debuging/photoshopping later.

Good artistic code/photos are not (again IMO) usually cluttered, that is measured by thier complexity/complexity but but by the writer/photographer's clarity of vision.  That cannot be taught: it can only be learnt.

Bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/