Re: PF Exhibits on 10-02-04

Dear Colleagues,

Following on from my "Nurds are artists too" posting, I've decided to review this weeks gallery in somewhat the same manner as I QA work from my IT co-workers.

ADavidhazy wrote:

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 25 SEP 04. Authors with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Les Baldwin - Bent Head

Les, the module you submitted has an unusual user interface. Usually I would request that you rework this to the defined standard, but in this case I think the deviation from the standard is acceptable. Oddly enough, if you were to rotate your design 90 degrees anticlockwise you would get something very similar to what the clients may be expecting.

Laurenz Bobke - Angling

Laurenz, your splash screen is exactly what the clients require. It effectively summarises the system's core functions.

Veli Cigirgan -

Veli, I'm a little concerned with the presentation of data in your module. The design makes it difficult to determine where the end user should find the details they're after. Clearly you're showing summary information, but I'm left wondering what it is a summary of. Please stick to the standards and name your module appropriatly.

Jim Davis - Meijiros Doin' It

Jim, I've warned you about this before. Your work is always of the highest standard, and we all like easter eggs, but the porn pop-ups have to be removed.

Deen Hameed - I have a Dream

Deen, it looks like you were on acid when you wrote this code. As we're aware, most of the users are pretty straight and I'm sure they'll raise change requests to fix what you've obviously designed in. Notwithstanding that, I think the requirements in the spec have clearly been met.

Dan Mitchell - Etienne

Dan. Whilst you've deviated from the spec in a number of areas, I think you've produced a workable design. My concern is that the error messages are difficult to understand and I'm not sure if I fully understand some of your functions. In fact, I think you may have let a little "feature creep" get into this one.

Charles Siegel - France, June 2004

Charles, I'll let this one through. I think you've missed a few small cosmetic details, but I'll leave it up to the acceptance testers and see if they pick it up.

Jim Snarski - Whitewater

Jim, a dynamic set of interfaces. You've handled the plethora of parameters in a way that will make calling the module seem almost simple. I think this one will go straight through to production with no changes.

Christopher Strevens - Native Briton on Reigate Hill

Chris, we're going to have to move you out of Jim's team. Both of you have presented me with things that our policy won't let us even consider passing on to the users. I know you're a Tomb Raider fan, but this is really too much.

Bob Talbot - 33 rpm

Bob, you've shown again why you're one of our senior technical developers. Well documented and researched material. The only thing you're missing is the actual user requirement you were addressing. I've looked through the spec and I can't find anything. Some more information would be nice. I have to point out that presented this way, I'm sure most of the users will interpret it the wrong way. Can you sort in the opposite order? Have you got a version with the opposite sort order?

Jim S, Deen, and Laurenz, you get QA approval without reservation. Jim D, whilst I may find your work to be very good, It's more than my job's worth to let that sort of stuff through.

Next week, a review by an accountant!

Best
UnBob