Re: Photo/image Databases

> I track exposure (f/stop, shutter speed, film, ASA) for every shot
on
> every roll of film, taking notes as I shoot.  FP lets me put in as
much
> info as I want, including exhibition notes.  Depending on how it's
set
> up, I can pull out just the exposure info or just the date info or
just
> the location info or . . .

Ah, go digital!

My camera has the ability to track vast amounts of information.

- Internal differential GPS system records lat. long and altitude
accurate to 2 cm
- backed up by high resolution inertial navigation system

- internal pose sensors record pitch, tilt, yaw and rotation (about
lens axis) to 20 seconds of arc.

- time of day is maintained by an internal caesium clock (and when in
range of suitable transmitters is synchronised with the national time
signal). Typically, even when not maintained, errors of only 12
micro-seconds per day are propagated.

- an ambient light meter records full spectral information of both
light, infra red and ultra-violent energies (wavelength range 273 -
1028 nm) with an energy resolution of only 0.3 nm per band. As well as
intensity, it records a 3D directionality matrix for each wavelength
cohort. This facility is extremely useful in post-processing the files
in scientific applications.

- as well as photon counts, an integral weather station records
temperature fluctuations, wind speed, relative humidity, wind speed,
pollen count, and a full 12-parameter "air quality index" - including
CFCs, ozone, carbon monoxide etc.

- obviously all the standard metadata are placed in the image file,
shutter speed, aperture, distance to point (of the image plane)  in
focus, camera make and model, lens focal length ( as 35mm
equivalent!!!) plus current zoom setting [if applicable].  Hopefully,
in a later model it will record true focal length at current focus
distance for internally focussing lenses.

- the image sensor has a full 1024 by 768 pixel sensor.  These are
arranged in an advanced eBayer Pattern.  Unlike tradition Bayer grids
with the RGBG grid, additional sensors are optimised for an enhanced
range if wavelengths.  The three traditional RGB pixels have been
supplemented with RGB+ Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Ultra-violet A (UVa)
Ultra-violet B (UVb) and infra red (IR).  The resulting 9-pixel
repeating grid (3*3 pixel block) has hitherto unparalleled spectral
sensitivity.  In night mode and alternative sensor flips into place
with all IR sensitive pixels.

- The lack of pixel numbers is not a disadvantage: using an internal
database (73.6 GB) of fractal primaries post-capture processing
interpolates the images up to a massive 187 Mb files (231 Mb including
full metadata + artist's statement downloads).

For ultimate traceability a fingerprint sensor in the shutter button
verifies the author and a skin-cell sampler can record a short DNA
profile (17-parameter) to settle any copyright problems later. An
in-built microphone allows the photographer to include memo fields,
specifically tailored for the "artist's statement" about "why" the
photograph was taken.  Sadly the technology does not yet exist to
determine this automatically.

In "Program Mode" (Press Here Dummy") the camera interrogates the
scene composition database and locks the shutter button until standard
composition criteria (SCC) have been met.  Subjects will always be
within 30 pixels of the "thirds" and, when the subject is a face
occupying more than 20% of the sensor area, at least one eye MUST be
in focus.

I've printed the images up to a whacking big 80-inches by 60-inches
and can not see any difference between jpeg and TIFF ... and heck,
after spending 27,000 dollars on the camera I'm hardly likely to admit
I was sold a duffer, am I?

When it comes to ultimate image quality though, too much has been made
of it already.  Creativity knows no such bounds.  With this camera,
even if the images it captures turn out crap, you have plenty of
ancillary information to bore your pals with.

Bob

PS; it has an in-builit cell-phone ....