Re: digital printing & print resolution

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:48:31 +1000, Deen Hameed
<deenhameed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>	I've been printing portraiture through a local prolab here in Sydney for nearly 2 years now, and i've always been impressed with just how big a 6MP digital file can be blown up. The prints were done at 200-250ppi, and while they are clean (not pixelated), they definitely do not show the tonality or detail of a film print, even in an 8x10 or 11x14 (all the images are printed at the same ppi). Even a 4x6 on film has a different tonality and detail that digital (S2 or D70) is simply not delivering (even at such a small print)

Well, my experiences are the opposite. But then I have a Canon 10d.
I've particularly liked the greater tonal range, more details,
realistic colour, and 3D like images I've had from the Frontier.

Film always seemed to have lost shadow and highlights and never really
had a 3D look compared to my 10d stuff. I would suggest that you
experiment with 'curves' in Photoshop to get your tonal ranges looking
better on the print.

Pick a normal type of shot and work on it until you have optimized it,
then process all your digital images like that.

>	Now that I am doing my own thing, I really am looking to improve the quality of the prints I can produce...

I run the Fuji Frontier testprint file once in awhile. I also have run
some of my own tests, but overall I've been so happy with the prints
that I've not had to tweak more. Make sure your color space is
correct. The Frontier likes RGB, dunno about a Lambda. Let the printer
do the upsizing if needed.

>	There are plenty of labs here with a variety of equipment; Durst Lambda, Frontiers, LightJets, but pretty much all the labs request the print at 200-250ppi. The only prints i've seen are from the lambda and the frontier machines, and they are all that 'flatty' look.

Frontiers print at 300dpi. They do an excellent job of upscaling.
Lambdas are more tuned for larger prints but all digital photo
printers should produce excellent results from a digital camera file
if the file is correctly tweaked. It might look great on your monitor
but you're going to have to find out what looks best on the printer
you choose. And perhaps adjust your monitor to help.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
  http://jimdavis.oberro.com/