digital printing & print resolution

Ello...

	Do we have a digital printing expert in the house?

	I've been printing portraiture through a local prolab here in Sydney for nearly 2 years now, and i've always been impressed with just how big a 6MP digital file can be blown up. The prints were done at 200-250ppi, and while they are clean (not pixelated), they definitely do not show the tonality or detail of a film print, even in an 8x10 or 11x14 (all the images are printed at the same ppi). Even a 4x6 on film has a different tonality and detail that digital (S2 or D70) is simply not delivering (even at such a small print)

	Now that I am doing my own thing, I really am looking to improve the quality of the prints I can produce...

	I would rather not stuff about with inkjets (if I can), and would prefer to just send the job to a professional to do. In exchange, I am hoping for *sharp* results (even if the print is not too big), good colour and contrast.

	There are plenty of labs here with a variety of equipment; Durst Lambda, Frontiers, LightJets, but pretty much all the labs request the print at 200-250ppi. The only prints i've seen are from the lambda and the frontier machines, and they are all that 'flatty' look.

	I've seen some inkjet prints that _are_ very sharp, and resemble film output, though.

	Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve the images, so they can be printed at the 'pro' lab, with 'pro' equipment to deliver the sort of results that we can expect from decent inkjet/analog gear? or is the big printer really only good for making BIG prints, and not detail.

Best regards,
Deen
2004-09-21 11:35:31
--