Re: PF exhibits on 09-18-04

Dear Colleagues,

My comments, for what they're worth.

ADavidhazy wrote:

Peeter Vissak - Music of Heavy Machinery

I find my eye drawn alternately to the two figures, however, there's nothing there that really catches my interest. This doesn't work for me.

Unbob Unrosen - I Walk A Crooked Path

A masterful work of unequaled subtlety and sublime beauty. A bit like myself really. This talks to the public and it says what they want to hear. Who is that masked man?

Bob Talbot - 33 rpm

As I look at this image all I can think of is the poor workmanship of Minolta flash meters! When I manage to distract myself from that thought I wonder at the extrordinary lengths this Bob goes to when calibrating his shutters. Disregarding this, I notice that Bob's lawn is in serious need of some TLC -- Get out there and do some work Bob!!! Then I notice that Bob uses CDs for purposes other than they are intended (I hope the RIAA don't monitor this site!) Then I notice that Bob's playing with matches again (didn't your mother have something to say about that?). Then I notice that Bob uses Canon equipment (or at least has a Canon lens cap). Then I wonder why Bob has placed the turntable that way around, and where he put the cover that he appears to have removed. Then I wonder, just what did the shot he took with this setup turn out like? Well Bob?

Srinivasa Regeti - Shenandoah River (Harper's Ferry, WV)

Hmmm, moving water taken with a moderately long exposure. I don't find anything particularly striking about this shot. Is it the branch that is in critical focus? why?

Christopher Strevens - Sitting Nude

Is this evidence that Chris became a photographer because painting was too hard? I'm not a fan of this type of work. Yeah, that's all I can say.

John Palcewski - A Little Cloud

Alient smoke creature shown invading woman's body. Other than the novelty value of seeing some smoke frozen is the point of leaving someone's long-suffering lungs, I don't see much in this shot. I am reminded of a portrait taken with the subject exhaling some thick white smoke (maybe someone will remember it too). I am reminded not because of the similarities, but because of the differences.

Per Ofverbeck - Fredde

Oh, a dog!  Best portrait so far :-)

Tim Mulholland - Self Portrait on a bicycle

OK, now this is seriously nice. It's got to be the pick of the gallery so far.

Deen Hameed - Blue =+ Blue Yellow = White

Quite nice. I like where the zone of focus falls. I might like it even more if it were severely cropped, say by removing almost all of the stem?

Jim Davis - Portrait of Elle and Koroski

Hi Elle! Hi Koroski! Sit! Good dogs :-) The only thing that worries me is that the plant in front of Koroski(?) is too mich in focus. It looks at first glance like there's scratches, dust or something on the image. Just a distraction on an otherwise good image.

I think Tim and Deen get the gold and silver this week. Sadly, I'll take the bronze.

Best
UnBob