Re: That old jpg v. RAW argument again...

From: "Llorenç Herrera Aznar" <lha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 1:14
Subject: RE: That old jpg v. RAW argument again...

> This is my first message in this list, I've been reading you for a while
and
> now I decided to write. First of all, excuse me for my english, wich is
> sometimes far from being "readable".

your english is fine :-)

> What Gary Lawton says about JPG versus TIFF is completely correct. Every
> image saved in JPG format loses information about its detail, even it's
> saved at the maximum quality.

I don't think anyone here would actually work an image as a jpeg, the idea
that it looses data everytime it's recomressed is well understood by most
image workers these days  - almost everyone who manipulates images who have
obtained the original as a jpeg will save it to a TIF, PNG or some other
lossless format.

<clipped>

> The fact is that the real application for 16bit/channel images (except
for
> some rare applications), is for, as I said above, digital retouching.
With
> 16bit/channel the digital retouching algorythms has a lot more
information
> to work with, and specially when you are working on black and white
images,
> 16bit/channel will be very useful on conversions, and the feared
"histogram
> gaps" will be very rare.

just a point regarding the histogram gaps - the histogram tool is a small
graphical representation in Photoshop that is only 128 pixels wide on the
screen and while 8 bit images will show gaps in theat graph more readily
than 16 bit images, a larger graph will show that many 16 bit images which
appear to have no gaps in the photoshop histogram to actually DO have gaps,
they're just not represented on such a small graph.

> I can talk more about histogram gaps and 16bit/channel treatment on black
> and white images, if you find it interesting.
>
> I wrote an article specifically about this, wich is online here:
>
> http://www.fotopunto.com/?a=articles&aa=view&article_id=20
>
> I'm sorry, the article is written in spanish.

I'll have to learn Spanish! :-)

karl