RE: That old jpg v. RAW argument again...

This is my first message in this list, I've been reading you for a while and
now I decided to write. First of all, excuse me for my english, wich is
sometimes far from being "readable".

What Gary Lawton says about JPG versus TIFF is completely correct. Every
image saved in JPG format loses information about its detail, even it's
saved at the maximum quality.
Wich makes JPG a good format is indeed its capabilities to reduce de file
size while mantaining good details in the image. The compression algorythms
that JPG uses on saving the image are specially minded to make very
difficult to our eyes to see the imperfections.

So, what's wrong with JPG? Almost nothing. Almost! for example, JPG is not
suitable for:

. Making huge copies of the photo, cause one then can easily take a very
closer look and see the imperfections of the image. The imperfections that
allowed JPG to reduce the image size.

. If you plan to make intensive digital work with the image, soon or later
you'll find the JPG imperfections amplified (the so-called "artifacts").

TIFF, in the other hand, doesn't throughs any bit of information out of the
original image. In fact, TIFF also supports a kind of compression (LZW), but
it's a "non-degrading" compression, like the one we use in ZIP files. (JPEG
compression can be compared, this way, with the MP3 compression, or the
video compression in DVD movies, wich are, in fact, different generations of
the same original digital compression techniques)

About what Howard says, I understand he refers to practical facts: At the
end, who cares about that tiny (almost invisible) differences? I understand
him.
But the fact is that, as I said above, to catch the differences between an 8
bit/channel image and a 16 bit/channel image, you'll probably have to print
it huge enough so you can examine the color differences. Even so, it's
almost impossible to see. Probably, in that case, you'll found little
imperfections in the color gradients, in form of color bands (in the 8
bit/channel image, of course). And even all of this, you'll probably wont
find any huge printing system capable of reproducing 281.474.976.710.656
different color tonalities (the theoretical number of different colors you
can get with a 16bit per channel image.

The fact is that the real application for 16bit/channel images (except for
some rare applications), is for, as I said above, digital retouching. With
16bit/channel the digital retouching algorythms has a lot more information
to work with, and specially when you are working on black and white images,
16bit/channel will be very useful on conversions, and the feared "histogram
gaps" will be very rare.

I can talk more about histogram gaps and 16bit/channel treatment on black
and white images, if you find it interesting.

I wrote an article specifically about this, wich is online here:

http://www.fotopunto.com/?a=articles&aa=view&article_id=20

I'm sorry, the article is written in spanish.

Greets