Re: A photo exercise for students at RIT - FYI

My first experience with this "problem" was sometime in 1960's when
I was a student in the M&P class. Today's drawing looks sort of like
it did then (maybe) but it has suffered through repeated copying of
the cleaner originals. However, that does not mean that there may
have not been small inaccuracies in "frame" sizes between the two
"views" and locations of certain details - after all they are
hand-drawn illustrations and not copies of real photographs.

The "salient" points about the exercise are the distances between
locations marked on the two drawings that were made to represent
approximately the important items that the students were supposed
to pick-up on and interpret.

Note that the word "approximately" is included to allow some room
for the student to use intuition (maybe even to figure out as Bob
did that the error was probably a simple typo) to come up with
a logical answer ... even with made-up measurements ... as long as
they demonstrate they use or apply the principles involved.

I will admit that precision is something to be admired and for
forensic applications something that always needs to be practiced
when making measurements but as Bob rightly said this is to some
extent supposed to be a fun project to encourage the student think.

Anyway, this exercise will probably continue to be included
"as is" in the lab in which it is included for possibly another
40 years! When I saw this in a copy of a student workbook it
reminded me of my student days. It was a fun project for me. I
hope the studnet who run across this with the instructors who
offer this course today will also recognize it as a neat project
... that probably could benefit slightly from refinements but
which generally works as well today as in the past to make one
think about the principles involved.

On a different topic I wonder if photography students need to
know anything about logarithms.   :)

cheerio,
andy