Re: model release question

lea <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Many model releases I've seen say something to the effect "in exchange
> for consideration received I hereby give permission..."
>
> What I'm wondering is if I HAVE to give something in exchange for using
> their image?
>
> Situations I'm considering are a child's portrait shoot, a pet shoot or
> a wedding. Is it necessary to give something away to get a model
> release?
>
> Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this.

This is not legal advice.  I'm not a lawyer.  However, I've paid a
fair amount of attention to legal issues especially surrounding
photography for the last 20 years or so, so I don't think I'm wasting
your time by posting.

In general, a contract, to be valid, has to be of benefit to both
sides.  This is most often shown by some sort of financial
"consideration" being given to one side by the other side.  I think
that statement is in many stock model releases to show that the model
did receive something in compensation for the permission.  If the
model argued they never received anything, then they might claim that
the contract (the release) wasn't valid.

But I know nothing about the case law -- whether releases without it
have still been upheld, or if they've been overturned; and whether
releases *with* it have been overturned.