Angling for images

Hey all,

This Sunday at the Meadow Brook Concours d Elegance there appeared to be
a geometric increase from the previous year of people using digital
cameras.  I, with my film supply exhausted and my tripod and pan camera
stowed,  joined in and was soon employing the new snap-shooting style
made necessary by the ergonomics and other peculiarities of the cameras
that it seems everyone now carries.  Making a photograph no longer
requires
deliberation but rather a tentative outward gesture towards the general
direction of the subject, arm extended with the camera held between
thumb and index finger.  No notice is paid to the view screen until
after pressing the shutter at which time the digiographer looks to see
if anything was caught, or the effort which is really no more exertion
than a shrug or a wave howdy should be undone releasing space for a
luckier moment.  Freedom to cast about without a priori investment of
composure, correct exposure, or cash for film should result in greater
numbers of enjoyable images for everyone.

I bagged my limit of chromed and enameled metal and seeking
a cheap thrill took my flash card in for twenty-nine cent prints.
It being my virginal attempt, I watched so that I might learn as
the person ahead of me jabbed at the touch screen to produce
satisfying snaps of her family all correctly exposed and
tweaked into shape with a little zooming and cropping.  I told her that
she must be a real expert and that I hoped I could do as well and she
said no it was her first time too.

If you believe as I do that images are all out there and that their
subject is in effect the viewer who has learned the conventions of
casting about for them you will appreciate what an advance digital
cameras bring to the process. They offer a fool-proof means of snagging
highly corrected examples of what was expected to be caught and not a
blurred and mis-aligned facsimile.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.