Re: Pickin' brains

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris" <nimbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 7:09 PM
Subject: RE: Pickin' brains

Hi Chris,

The October exhibit is a solo show for me so all funds are from my pocket.
This exhibit is being held at the Cedar Centre Gallery, a gallery that is
different from the strip mall "artspace" gallery.   I think you are asking
about funding for the "artspace" gallery.

Funds for the "artspace" gallery are sparce, indeed, and come from those of
us trying to get the space up and running.   You can take my word for it -
none of us is rich.    As much as we would like to go first class with
everything at the "artspace" ("artspace" is the actual name of the
gallery/school) it isn't possible at this time.

However - lack of finances and making something from literally  nothing is
challenge enough to get a few dreamers fueled up and moving.   We see a
reward at the end of the tunnel (a strip mall in the poorer part of town
turned cultural entity) and no one has come up with an argument that has
convinced us it can't be done.

You would be amazed at how much determination an "I'll show you" attitude
(being stuborn helps, too) can produce {:->

We are looking into fundraising events and grants, of course, but
fundraising takes funds and grants need a history of success.   Our next
show at "artspace" opens August 7 and it is a watercolor/ pencil drawing
show by local artist, C.D. Bailey.

I'm glad the  negatives are useful to you, Chris.  Thank you for letting me
know.

Marilyn