Re: PF exhibits 17-JUL-04

If you're going to critique a critique, at least you ought to read it more carefully. I clearly said: "...it looks like a bunch of soldiers standing around talking." I also said, in reference to the image, "...I presume the kneeling figures are examining a body, but it's not at all clear." As photojournalism this image fails because it--with or without a caption or cutline--conveys nothing of significance.

John Palcewski
Forio d' Ischia, Italia

http://www.livejournal.com/users/forioscribe

http://www.palcewski.com/Ischia

Sorry, I should have titled it "After the Gunfight". And yes, they are
examining the bodies and this was taken right after that last gunshot. I guess I
never pay that much attention to titles. I am not good at titles, but now I
realize the importance of them. Despite the poor title, I didn't see any comments
about the actual image which is what I would have expected to have gotten.
Also, keep in mind that this is a title and not an actual caption which would give
more details.

<< Leslie Spurlock, Gunfight (Haiti: Feb/Mar 04) The caption says gunfight,
but it looks more like a bunch of soldiers standing around talking. I
presume the kneeling figures are examining a body, but it's not at all
clear. Here's a case where the caption makes a promise about the image that
it just doesn't keep. I don't get any sense of "gunfight" at all.